Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The first post

And a long time overdue. I should have started this project diary an age ago when I started my project. So I have a lot of catching up to do.

The project this is a diary of is called codesoup. And is my vision of a future posibility for computation. When I started it, it was a project that relied on the power of evolution TM to drive it to new and wonderfully creative feats of coding. Hence the projects title, a reference to the chemical soup theorised to have created the first replicating entities.

Now, however, after a brief bit of experimentation and a lot of reading of algorithmic complexity papers and nature/nurture debates, the focus is on designing virtual machine code that has a fair amount of complexity built in. But which can change and move, hence kinetic code, mainly because dynamic is already wildly overused. But I am getting ahead of myself.

A relatively concise description of my vision is the following. A computing system where humans code a beginning program that develops into an adaptive goal based system where the competition for computing space is governed by selective pressure. The method for determining which program gets to survive a competition for space is governed by a property called energy, this is given to a program by an external rewarding force and will be distributed by economics.

A few points worth remembering-
  • The only parts that are fixed are:

    1. the method of deciding who gets the space (when a program trys to overwrite another)

    2. the rewarding for performing a task

  • The rest of the system including messaging between programs and the economics has to be built like an OS by a human

My diary policy will be generally not to allow comments, mainly to encourage discussion to go to athe projects sourceforge email list .

Technorati tagging will be generally and when appropriate. I shall also do this once. But I dislike the term so look for codesoup if you want to be sure of finding this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home